Monday, February 18, 2008

Nerdery Week - Nerdy Media

Today for Nerdery Week, I will show you another shelf from my office. This is one shelf of a large bookcase. Strangely, only one of the shelves is dedicated to books. This particular shelf is tasked with holding some DVD sets and graphic novels.

Ok...so we've got the Jurassic Park boxed set, which includes a bonus disc of extra features. Directly beneath that we have all three of the extended versions of Lord of the Rings. These longer versions really are worth the money. Next, we have Ren and Stimpy, seasons one and two. I can't wait until my girls are old enough to watch these. Then we have seasons one through ten of The Simpsons on DVD. Best television comedy ever?

Now onto graphic novel territory. We have about ten Punisher books, including the seriously great Punisher Max series (written for an adult audience). This comic book is published with six-issue story arcs. Whenever they complete an arc, they publish it in graphic novel form.

A few years ago, Marvel republished the first 50 issues of the G.I. Joe comic book in graphic novel form. Wow...most of these didn't age well, but I'm still glad to have them. The last volume or two, which is really Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow heavy, still holds up pretty well.

Finally, we have several Hulk: Visionaries editions, chronicling the work of the best Hulk writer ever, Peter David. I'm all caught up and will buy the next few that come out, which I'm most excited about because that's when Marvel teamed up the best Hulk artist ever (Dale Keown) with Peter David.

Ok...surely I've earned by nerd cred by now.

5 comments:

Dan said...

What a great shelf! And I'm so glad to know that you appreciate LOTR - that's not always a given.

I'm very envious of your photo shopping ability. It's miles beyond what I'm capable of.

And I've only recently started to appreciate graphic novels. Late to the party, I know, but I credit Marvel Zombies for sparking my interest.

Anonymous said...

ok...where to start.

I commend you Matt. You always have, and continue to, just throw it all out there.

“ Hello , I’m Matt, and these are the things I like, eat, hate, smell like, ect…and I don’t care what you think about me or what I do”. Excellent…Well done.

Let me point out a few things that particularly impressed me:

- You defined “Super Hero” vs “Action Hero”, just to clarify.

-Specified the Hooded Cobra Commander (I had the helmeted version…snob)

-You exposed a high school picture of yourself in that quasi jean jacket to the world. Balsy dood.

-You even HAVE “graphic novel territory”.

And my favorite:

-You used the phrase”…Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow heavy…”


I thoroughly enjoy you Matt, I really do.

Anonymous said...

how much for your GI Joe graphic novels?

Anonymous said...

My LOTR extended versions are proudly displayed right next to my television. Oh yeah, there's no hiding those beauties.

And I'll echo Dan, your photoshop skills are worthy of my envy.

God said...

Didn't get a chance to comment yesterday. I love that you held onto the much-loathed Homer head case for the Simpsons DVD. I did the same thing, but sent in for the case for the 'whiny babies' or whatever they called us.

It's called consistency, Groening. Look it up!

My stupid yellow shell sits atop a bunch of other 'Special Edition' cases that couldn't fit on my shelf.