Saturday, February 23, 2008

Nerdery Week - The Final Chapter

As Thomas from Tappity Tappity pointed out, it's hard to get a full week's worth of posts out of this nerdery thing. It's not that I'm running out of nerdy (I'm not); it's just that I've come to find out that my various nerdy aspects are not very diverse.

Therefore, my final Nerdery Week post is another video game post.

In my basement, I have a fully functioning, full-sized video game. It's called Champion Wrestler and it's extraordinarily lame. Unlike Pac Man or Donkey Kong or some other awesome retro game that would still hold some "cool", Champion Wrestler is just unabashedly terrible. So why do I have this behemoth? Good question.

I have it in my head that I will one day build an arcade machine. You know, a giant video game that has hundreds of old arcade games in it. I learned early on that one of the most difficult steps in this process is building a cabinet, and if you can find an existing cabinet in good shape, that will save lots of time and money. So, I went to a video game auction (hilariously called an "amusement auction") and plunked down a couple hundred bucks for Champion Wrestler. It was a pretty good deal, considering that the monitor and speakers still work.

The bad news is that it's been about two years since I've acquired this game, and yet I have no arcade machine. If it were procrastination week, I'd tell you more.

1 comment:

God said...

Nicely done, Matt! I think I could easily do a whole week (or so I think) on video games. I would love to have a cabinet of my own someday...even if it is for a really crappy game.

Nerd up!