Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Fear Versus Opportunity

I have been asked to fill the role of MC at an upcoming Maynard Ferguson Tribute concert in May. I've been asked to do this not because of any skill I may have at being an MC (I have very little), but because of my more than ten years of being associated with Maynard Ferguson. In January of 1997, I started a fan site for Maynard that eventually lead to that site receiving "official site" status and then (later still) was moved onto the MF-owned MaynardFerguson.com domain.

My initial reaction to the invitation was one of fear. I describe myself as a site-specific extrovert (a term I heard Mike Myers use once), someone who enjoys the spotlight on a small and well-controlled scale. I do not enjoy public speaking, and I imagined the intense case of nerves I would be dealing with for several days leading up to the event. I pictured myself on that stage, looking out over the 1,625 seats, and almost broke out in flop sweat at the mere suggestion.

Touhill Performing Arts Center
However, I believe that pangs of regret are always more painful than twinges of nervousness, so I said yes. Please wish me luck and hope for an understanding audience on May 4th, which would've been Maynard's 80th birthday.

2 comments:

DarinH said...

Very cool! Glad to hear that you said yes. I sense this may be the spring board you need to kick off that stand-up comedy career.

K Bell said...

Congratulations! You will be awesome ... you'll just need to force that site-specific extrovertism a little bit.