Sunday, February 10, 2008

Held Back By Wacky?

I'm getting pumped for "These Are The Good Times People", the new release by the Presidents of the United States of America. I've been a loyal PUSA fan since college, including the several strange and interesting solo projects by lead singer/songwriter Chris Ballew (the 2 Giraffes CDs are among my favorites). Last week, the first single from the new album, called "Mixed Up Son of A Bitch," was released on their MySpace page, and it's killer. I highly recommend that you take a listen.

The Presidents have a certain amount of "wacky" in their songs and in their persona, which I think has held them back a bit in the public eye. They fit well, along with the Blues Brothers and Tenacious D, into that category of groups that make excellent music but aren't taken 100% seriously because they don't take themselves 100% seriously. This is too bad, because the Presidents consistently write really solid rock songs. Few other bands seem to enjoy themselves as much as they do. I say bring on the wacky!

No comments: