Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Beh-Jroom?

Last night my 5-year-old daughter and I were talking and she mentioned something about the bed in her room. Suddenly, a light bulb went off...and I could tell there was a mini-epiphany happening right before my eyes.

She looked at me with the passion of discovery and said, "Hey! Bed? Room? It should be 'bedroom'!" She annunciated that last word slowly and carefully, making sure that I heard both halves clearly. I was confused...it sounded like she had just uncovered the fact that the word "bedroom" was a compound word and had just realized why it was made up of those particular words...and yet, it also sounded like she didn't quite understand that.

Cautiously, not wanting to derail her excitement or steal any legitimacy from her serendipitous a-ha moment, I said, "Honey...it's already called a bedroom. That's what it is, a room for your bed." She looked at me, shoulders slumped and eyes half-lidded (as if trying to get through to someone who just can't GET IT), and said, "No, Dad, it's a beh-jroom. Jroom!"

Ok, I'm fully aware that this reads like a pitch meeting for a horrible Family Circus cartoon, but dammit, it was cute to me.

No comments: