Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It Feels Good To Believe In Someone

I've made a conscious effort to keep the amount of political posts to a minimum in this blog. Politics tends to divide and to drive people away. Most Americans are uncomfortable talking about either politics or religion. However, I'm an absolute politics nut. I drink it in. I consume all of the news that I can, and Barack Obama's speech today on race and politics was an absolute masterpiece. A speech for the history books.

My only nervous question, and the question I've seen on a few political sites is this: What is the take-away? The speech was so nuanced, so devoid of sound bites, that it might actually be too sophisticated for most media outlets these days. For people that don't pay attention to politics, or whose only knowledge is what they overhear in a 45-second story on the evening news, will this speech matter? Is there still room for high-minded, thoughtful, brave, and honest speech in this country that isn't packaged as a slogan?

I'd encourage you to read the speech.

Better yet, watch it:



Today, I am filled with American pride, and with pride that my state was the first to hold up Obama and say, "This is our candidate."

Here is some of the analysis offered by my favorite political reporters/commentators:

Andrew Sullivan, conservative writer for "The Atlantic":
Alas, I cannot give a more considered response right now as I have to get on the road. But I do want to say that this searing, nuanced, gut-wrenching, loyal, and deeply, deeply Christian speech is the most honest speech on race in America in my adult lifetime. It is a speech we have all been waiting for for a generation. Its ability to embrace both the legitimate fears and resentments of whites and the understandable anger and dashed hopes of many blacks was, in my view, unique in recent American history.

And it was a reflection of faith - deep, hopeful, transcending faith in the promises of the Gospels. And it was about America - its unique promise, its historic purpose, and our duty to take up the burden to perfect this union - today, in our time, in our way.

I have never felt more convinced that this man's candidacy - not this man, his candidacy - and what he can bring us to achieve - is an historic opportunity. This was a testing; and he did not merely pass it by uttering safe bromides. He addressed the intimate, painful love he has for an imperfect and sometimes embittered man. And how that love enables him to see that man's faults and pain as well as his promise. This is what my faith is about. It is what the Gospels are about. This is a candidate who does not merely speak as a Christian. He acts like a Christian.

Bill Clinton once said that everything bad in America can be rectified by what is good in America. He was right - and Obama takes that to a new level. And does it with the deepest darkest wound in this country's history.

I love this country. I don't remember loving it or hoping more from it than today.

David Kurtz, Talking Points Memo:
It is remarkable for its nuance, for its long view of history, and for its decency.


Chris Durang, The Huffington Post:
I thought Barack Obama's speech, which finished just minutes ago, was brilliant, nuanced, healing and shows him to be incredibly worthy as a candidate. I hope America is interested enough in progress to embrace this man. We would be lucky, very lucky, to have him as a president.

His speech was brave, and touched on the minister and race in general with real wisdom, and hope for healing.

Jeffrey Wells, Hollywood Elsewhere:
Sen. Barack Obama didn't just hit an oratorical home run a little while ago in Philadelphia. He hit the ball above the bleachers and into the electric scoreboard...bam. Sparks flew, people applauded, the news commentators were awed. It was a brilliant, historic, uncommonly frank speech about racial divides and attitudes, and what might be different. He said all the necessary things about the excessive hate steam of Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and particularly the choice between adhering to old habits and resentments and choosing to move beyond all the crap. It was personal, straight, profound and clear as a bell.


And here's some blog commentary by regular folks:

"This is what is so refreshing about Obama - he is a genuine thinker in the tradition of important historical figures more than he is a bureaucrat. His great challenge as an innovative political thinker is overcoming the culture and identity issues which have disabled progressive politics for the past thirty years."

"I cannot remember the last time a politician spoke to me as an adult, not as a child."

"It's not like I needed any additional evidence that Obama is the most remarkable candidate for president in the past 40 years, perhaps in my entire lifetime, but this provides it.

The more power to him for not talking down to or underestimating the intelligence of the American people. The more power to him for speaking in nuance and shades of grey, rather than stark black and white (pardon the poor metaphor). The more power to him for being honest. The more power to him for not playing into the media's sound-bite, short-attention span culture.

If that's not good enough to win election, then, in my view, America's not a good enough country to deserve a extraordinary leader like him. But I certainly intend to do everything I can over the next eight months to see that our nation is led by someone as great as I'd like to believe our nation is."

"Politics as un-usual. Truly beautiful and poignant."

"Courageous. Whatever happens, I'm proud of Senator Obama. He makes me proud to be an American."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today, I am filled with American pride, and with pride that my state was the first to hold up Obama and say, "This is our candidate."

Me too, Matt, me too.

Anonymous said...

Nuanced is not a word you hear very often and yet nearly every review of the speech (including your own) used that word. That bothers me. The first thing I thought of after the speech was not "oh man, so many nuances." Polly does not want a cracker.