Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Get To Know Your Future Spouse

Today I came across an article about a book called "Don't You Dare Get Married Until You Read This!" by Corey Donaldson. The book is essentially a list of 500 questions that you and your future spouse should ask each other prior to taking the plunge.

I've been married for over 10 years to someone that I essentially started dating in high school. I consider myself someone who has changed enormously since then, and I think it's extremely fortunate that Anne and I have mostly evolved and grown in the same direction. Because I was married young (22) and consider my marriage to be in good shape, the idea of me seriously asking these questions at that age cracks me up. I have difficulty imagining how one would work these questions into casual conversation with someone you were dating.

"So...you like summertime? I love summer. I know, right? It's nice to be able to just go outside without a jacket. Oh, that reminds me. If we eliminated physical attraction from our relationship, what would be left?"

Other recommended questions:
  • What does monogamy mean to you?
  • Have you ever thought that you should marry me because if you don't, no one else will come along, and you will be lonely for the rest of your life?
  • What does my family do that annoys you?
  • What are all your current debts?
  • Are your feelings for me dependent on my always having money?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Anna and I had 3 FULL days of these questions before we got married at a mandatory retreat for engaged Catholics. The only thing that brought us closer together was our mutual hatred for the people asking us if we would agree on appropriate bedtimes for our 12 future children.