Saturday, May 17, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Snooty Critics

Tonight (or is it this morning? I don't know the time difference), Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will screen at the Cannes Film Festival. It's quite a gamble for a big studio to take a summer blockbuster to Cannes. Sure, you're guaranteed enormous publicity, but a summer movie has to be pretty exceptional to survive the gauntlet of film snobs. The DaVinci Code tried this a couple of years ago, and got a serious smack-down from the critics. Then again, it didn't hurt their box office.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for Cannes reaction... In the dark secret spot of my brain I want it to receive a few minor punches, at least. I need my expectations to be lowered a little if I'm going to enjoy this movie at all. I've got to be realistic about this thing!

4 comments:

Dan said...

Some of the earliest internet critics have spoken and the news is not so good. I read an interesting article last night about how the Cannes crowd is actually not the toughest battle Indy has to face. Rather, it's the new crop of internet reviewers and bloggers.

Hell hath no fury, I guess! ;)

Matt said...

I've heard that, too...but also heard that those who are underwhelmed are those who are too young to have experienced it as children...and for whom "action" means a quick cut style like in Bourne.

I've heard that viewers who were children for the first movies have liked it.

Fingers crossed here.

Dan said...

I am certainly going to wait to see it myself before I pass any kind of judgment. I think it has the possibility to be very good, even if it aspires to no more than escapist summer entertainment.

Although I'm sure that you'll see it before me - you'll have to let me know what your opinion is, hopefully right here on this blog!

God said...

Saw it last night. Can't wait to hear your review of it.