Monday, May 12, 2008

Basic Biology

My Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture desktop calendar recently asked me the following question: What film was hyped with the line: "When the son of a hundred maniacs...meets an unstoppable killing machine...no one will survive"?

The answer is Freddy Vs. Jason.

The "son of a hundred maniacs" line refers to Nightmare on Elm Street's Freddy...and reading that description of him jarred a vague memory of Freddy's origins. If I remember correctly, the story is that Freddy's mother was maybe working at an insane asylum? Or just visiting? Passing through? Not important. Anyway, somehow the inmates escaped or got to her in some way and she was raped by a large group of them, hence the idea that Freddy is the "son of a hundred maniacs". But this really just goes against basic biology. Even when I first saw that movie at age 12ish, I can remember thinking..."yeah, but only one sperm actually fertilized the egg, right?".

Wait...I was kind of lame, wasn't I?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I used to think that, too. Made the whole movie unrealistic to me.