Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Good News/Bad News

It's official. Scott Weiland is out of Velvet Revolver. I was lucky enough to catch VR back in January, but it's still disappointing that Velvet Revolver is now Scott-less. Yes, the band's name was cheesy, and it's true that the whole "supergroup" concept is a little tired, but I thought that they were providing a service that no other rock band is providing right now. Namely, some old fashioned, riff-driven nasty rock...but rock that still had some melody and groove (which are two things missing from most new rock bands, in my opinion).

What's the upside? Next week, Scott will be reuniting with Stone Temple Pilots and announcing a 50 date tour. STP was (is?) one of my favorite bands, and I thought my chance to see them live had passed. Obviously, Des Moines is not a hot spot for this kind of thing, so I may have to catch them in Kansas City or Minneapolis...but a date in Des Moines at the Val Air Ballroom would be amazing. Here's hoping.

A less exciting reunion happening now? New Kids on the Block.

No comments: