Sunday, February 17, 2008

Nerdery Week - Day One

Today, February 17th, marks the first day of Nerdery Week. This is a week dreamed up by a blog called Tappity Tappity that is intended to encourage bloggers to expose our "Nerdery", or our nerdy workspaces.

I'll start with a photo of the shelf above my desk in my home office. I apologize for the poor quality of the photo.

I've numbered the various nerdtastic exhibits for your convenience.

  1. The original HOODED Cobra Commander figure. You actually had to send in UPCs for this one.

  2. A Christmas card from my jazz hero, Maynard Ferguson.

  3. A vintage Storm Shadow figure. I only wish I still had his backpack that held a sword AND a bow. Sweet.

  4. A Snake Eyes figure. There was no cooler G.I. Joe character than Snake Eyes. I can almost hear the pitch meeting. "Ninjas are great, right? And commandos are cool, right? Ok...hear me out. We have a ninja who is also a commando. He carries a sword and an uzi. He wears all black and can't talk because of a war injury. Oh, and his pet? A FREAKIN' wolf. Oh, yes I did."

  5. From the Super Powers series, this is a Steppenwolf figure. I believe you also had to send in UPCs for this guy.

  6. A signed photo of myself and Maynard Ferguson...circa 1993.

  7. A Disco Stu figure from the Simpsons. "Disco Stu doesn't advertise".

  8. A large Punisher button. The art on this button is by Mike Zeck, my favorite Punisher artist. I used to have this Mike Zeck poster hanging in my high school bedroom.

  9. Also from the Super Powers series, a Green Arrow figure. I was always drawn to the super heroes that had no actual powers. Batman, Green Arrow, The Punisher. I prefer the characters that were a little flawed and had to rely on their skills.

Not pictured: My seriously kick-ass Indiana Jones figure that came with a whip. My girls have been playing with it and it's currently MIA, probably suffocating beneath a pile of Barbies somewhere.

That pretty much wraps up day one of Nerdery Week for me. My challenge will not be to find some nerdy aspect for each day, but rather to narrow it down to only 7 days' worth of material. In fact, I could've just posted a photo of myself typing this entry, since maintaining a blog is already a little nerdy.

5 comments:

Dan said...

Fantastic! Bring on the nerdiness!

Cate Gardner said...

Cool!!!

K Bell said...

Oh my gosh, I've honestly never heard of any of those things except for Disco Stu and Maynard. And I'm quite sure I would never have heard of Maynard if we hadn't worked together. Does that make me the anti-nerd? Unfortunately, no. I have my own nerdy skeletons but no blog on which to expose them. Nerd on!

God said...

Matt, you've got some vintage nerdiness on display and I couldn't be more envious. The thing that really made me sit up and take notice was the mention of the Indiana Jones doll. I wanted one of those as a young whipper snapper (all puns intended) and never had the means.

I've got some older stuff, too but I'm too chicken to display it. It's all locked in an old steamer trunk that looks like it fell off the Titanic. Good times!

Anonymous said...

This shelf actually exists in your home? The fascist in charge of decorating choices at my house would never allow this to exist.....well, maybe in the garage.

Is your wife that generous that she allows you to maintain some sense of individuality or is mine that twisted and evil that she has stripped me of all the accoutrement's of anything I find interesting?