Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gone Gone Gone


The "Raising Sand" album by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss was a pleasant surprise last year. I did an unusual thing with that album and bought it solely on the strength of the reviews. I'm not normally one to buy a CD sound-unheard, but the combination of those two musicians was intriguing.

The CD is mostly very mellow, and it took some time to develop an appreciation. It's worth the effort. I have a theory that the faster you develop an affection for a song, the shorter that affection will last.

My favorite song on the album is an Everly Brothers cover called "Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)". It's got a very catchy melody and nice harmonies and is just a fun song in general (Rolling Stone is not knocking down my door to write reviews). My girls (ages 7 and 5.9) sing this song when they are riding in the car with me. However, they get some of the words wrong and refuse to be corrected. I guess their version makes more sense to them.

A few days ago, I happened to have VH1 on (I'm old) and was surprised to see a video. It's pure cheese, but infectiously fun. Check it out.

1 comment:

K Bell said...

omg. that video is terrible. i shut it off at 1:24 so it wouldn't ruin the song for me, because i liked that song.

i wondered if the album was good.