Monday, December 8, 2008

Racial Profiling?

I was driving with my girls (6 and 8) over the weekend. They were sitting in the backseat, listening to Casey's $15 MP3 player with two sets of headphones. When they share headphones like this, a pattern emerges. They tend to play 20-30 seconds of a song, tire of it, and skip to the next one. About every 10 songs or so, they land on one that they are really excited about, emit a couple of squeals, and listen to the entire song. They pepper each song with commentary, which is normally very loud because they don't understand that they are speaking loudly due to the headphones.

I had them pretty well tuned out when I heard my eight-year-old say the words, "brown skin". Intrigued, I asked what she was listening to. She was listening to the 80's classic "Oh, Yeah" by the band Yello. You will probably remember this song from Ferris Bueller. I asked her what she was saying about "brown skin". She explained: "You know the low voice that says, 'Ohhhh Yeaaaah'? Well, in my imagination, he has brown skin."

1 comment:

Anna said...

Your kids are a riot! I love that story!